Sunday 26 May 2013

Let the Games Begin...

Let the Season Begin …

It is 9:40 am and I am sitting in a tent at the Rideau Acres Campground in Kingston, Ontario at the Kingston Scottish Festival … the first of the season.  Where is the sunshine the weather network promised?  I am comforted by the blue sky which hopefully means NO RAIN!  But the wind is fierce, my tent is a sail that promises to fly away sometime today … and I am freezing!!!

All the sights and sounds of the games are here … there have been pipers practicing the same songs since before 7 am this morning, a drummer has been drumming on the corner of my table for the past 20 minutes, and the dancers’ families have pitched their tents as the dancers stretch in preparation for their solos and group numbers.  I love to see everyone in kilts … and wonder if it is true what they say is worn underneath … and the kids who live in both worlds with Aeropostale shirts, sandals and kilts.  Being the first of the games, there are the squeals and hugs of seeing someone you have not seen since last September and the chatting to catch up.  And, dare we forget the latrines that we have also missed all winter … or the bugs.

The games have a life of their own … a community within a city.   I had to borrow nails from someone to hold down the tent and lent someone else a crate because she needed a “wee stool”.  Everyone is eager to lend a hand to help put something up or watch over things while you run to get lunch.  And, age has no significance.  Children of 5 and 7 are encouraged to “do their best” as are the adult competitors, some who have been competing for over 50 years. 

Many people have begun to wander by and I know they are just waiting until their child, spouse, friend, parent competes or performs.  Some are stitchers and will pick something up to do while they wait.  For them I have a full line of Textile Heritage kits that come complete with everything from the tassle to the ribbon.  Some are my regular customers … now my friends.  I will show them all of the new kits and patterns, especially the Anne of Green Gables and Military kits.  And others are appreciators and soon to be stitchers.  I will show them the L’il Stitchies, designed for beginning stitchers of all ages.

If you will be at one of the games coming up, send me your wish list and I will put your order away so you are not disappointed.  I rarely bring more than 1 of anything.  If going to a Scottish Festival is not something you have considered, why not check out the list of where I will be this summer … where else will you see someone throw a telephone pole … in a kilt?


Let the Games begin …

No comments:

Post a Comment